Game Director - Permanent
At PlayStation London Studio, we are on a mission to make award-winning, landmark games. Innovation is always at the heart of what we do, and our upcoming PlayStation 5 multiplayer title strives to push more boundaries. The focus for our brand-new console IP is to continue growing our team to work on our online co-op combat game set in modern fantasy London.
This game is close to our hearts, as we’ve seen this idea grow from a seed with the whole team coming up with the concept from the very beginning. We’re looking for new starters to continue our journey on shaping our plans for this AAA project.
We’re also a part of the PlayStation Studios family, a collective of teams - from Insomniac to Naughty Dog and many more. As such, we have a support system – often knowledge sharing industry advancements so that all our studios, individually create memorable gaming experiences for our audiences.
About the Role
As part of the Studio Leadership Team, we are looking for a Game Director, to drive the product vision on a new and very ambitious online game. You'll work with the leadership team to develop an outstanding product that achieves high quality, is commercially successful and is also reflective of the values we stand for. You are someone who is exceptional at making creative and informed decisions, whilst leading and nurturing the development team by inspiring them to collaborate on and implement your product vision.
Scope of Work
- Create and prioritise the overall vision for our next product, making key decisions on scope, creative direction, and content design.
- Conduct all product reviews with a focus on delivering a high quality, fun, and commercially successful experience.
- Guide the team and support them by providing clarity of the creative vision at all stages and giving them a clear understanding of the complete view of the entire game.
- Partner with the discipline directors, managers, and producers to set product goals and establish high level Product messaging.
- Lead a multi-functional team in the delivery of the game and IP strategy.
- Work together with the Live Ops Director, to verify the game feature set in line with the business model and target audience.
- Collaborate with the Production Director, to validate the game scope with the budget and resources available.
- Champion Innovation and USP's within our product strategy.
- Present product direction and status to Studio Heads and executive teams.
- Inform the game development team with new ways to innovate the product, in the form of market and player insights to ensure their output consistently matches the product objectives and audience desires.
- Build a cohesive team-work environment - coach and empower others to make decisions, take risks and reach for the highest standards in their crafts.
- Define and develop long term product strategies for achieving longevity and creating a successful franchise.
- Represent the Project and Franchise in the Public domain.
Essential Knowledge & Skills
- Experienced Game Developer with experience of games as a service.
- Strong leadership skills where you are not afraid to make informed decisions in the pursuit of maximising product value.
- Direct the overall product vision in a way that inspires and motivates multidisciplinary teams.
- Skilled at creative collaboration, problem solving and negotiation.
- Outstanding time management skills, with the initiative to delegate tasks and focus on larger issues while monitoring critical smaller details.
- Detailed understanding of game design and production methodologies.
- A strong critical eye for detail and the ability to resolve issues constructively.
- You are able to communicate with both large groups and individuals, with excellent written and oral skills.
- You are attentive to detail in order to get results.
- You have the desire and ability to champion our studio culture and values and promote the well-being of the team.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We encourage you to bring your best-unaltered self to work. Inclusivity is one of our studio values, which means we embrace different perspectives to fuel our creativity, and we know that our games are stronger for it!
It is important to us that our teams are passionate about diversity and inclusion. They must understand that these words speak to people’s lived experiences that may differ to their own. We encourage our teams to educate themselves and show support and their commitment to DE&I (diversity, equity, and inclusion). As an example, some of our outreach activities include giving talks, mentoring, speaking at schools, running roundtables and much more.
We therefore welcome applications from all groups who are underrepresented in the games industry. We can offer training to upskill our team, so if you don’t feel you meet 100% of the job criteria, we still strongly encourage you to apply and look forward to hearing from you.
Our roles can be flexible in terms of work location in the UK. We will consider the individual’s preference for hybrid, remote or onsite working. We may be able to support remote working from a selection of other countries depending on location and the role you're applying to, so please reach out to see if that could be a possibility. If you wish to relocate to the UK and require sponsorship, we can support you with the visa process.
We have so many benefits, and we felt that if we listed them all out here it might look like we are bragging! What we can say is that we have you covered, from health and wellbeing, to finance and personal development, there is something there for everyone! If you would like to know more head to our benefits and perks page!