Lead Animation Programmer - Permanent
At PlayStation London Studio, we are on a mission to make award-winning, landmark games. Our upcoming PlayStation 5 online multiplayer game will be focused on a brand-new IP we are extraordinarily excited about.
Our new game is close to our hearts, as the whole team collaborated on coming up with the concept from the very beginning. We’ve seen this idea grow from a seed, and now we’re looking for new starters to continue our journey on shaping our plans for this AAA project.
We’re also a part of the PlayStation Studios family, a collective of teams - from Insomniac to Naughty Dog and many more. As such, we have solid support system – often knowledge sharing industry advancements so that all our studios, individually lead the way to create memorable gaming experiences.
We’re looking for a Lead Animation Programmer to join our hardworking and creative team. You will be responsible for the technical aspects of crafting the animation systems throughout all areas of the game. You will work together with multiple disciplines within our team including animators, technical animators, designers, programmers and more, to advise and support the implementation of animation features.
We are looking for programmers who are experienced with animation programming and can balance this with management of a team. Prior management experience is not a requirement.
Scope of Work
- Ensure delivery of high-quality animation systems by the team.
- Plan the work of the team including external dependencies with minimal input.
- Define the technical direction and develop innovative solutions for difficult animation problems.
- Lead the Animation Engine team and communicate clearly with other team members.
- Help educate and support other teams to use animation systems accurately and efficiently.
- Tune animation systems based on high-level design input with minimal assistance.
- Use appropriate data structures and algorithms to improve efficiency (for both development time and runtime performance).
Knowledge / Experience
- Comfortable working across various teams and mentoring staff.
- Strong C++ programming and debugging skills.
- Proficiency in 3D maths.
- Expert knowledge in computer game animation systems.
- Capable of reading and quickly understanding complex code.
- Experience in multi-threading.
- Familiarity with high level networking concepts.
Impact / Complexity
You will take ownership for the implementation and delivery of your own tasks, alongside balancing those tasks with bug fixing and support work. Alongside this, you will also be leading our Animation Engine team, and helping to support, and mentor your team and our more junior members.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We encourage you to bring your best-unaltered self to work. Inclusivity is one of our studio values, which means we embrace different perspectives to fuel our creativity and we know that our games are stronger for it!
It is important to us that our teams are passionate about diversity and inclusion. They must understand that these words speak to people’s lived experiences that may differ to their own. We encourage our teams to educate themselves and show support and their commitment to DE&I (diversity, equity, and inclusion). As an example, some of our outreach activities include giving talks, mentoring, speaking at schools, running roundtables and much more.
We therefore welcome applications from all groups who are underrepresented in the games industry. We can offer training to upskill our team, so if you don’t feel you meet 100% of the job criteria, we still strongly encourage you to apply and look forward to hearing from you.
Our roles can be flexible in terms of work location in the UK. We will consider the individual’s preference for hybrid, remote or onsite working. We may be able to support remote working from a selection of other countries depending on location and the role you're applying to, so please reach out to see if that could be a possibility. If you wish to relocate to the UK and require sponsorship, we can support you with the visa process.
We have so many benefits, and we felt that if we listed them all out here it might look like we are bragging! What we can say is that we have you covered, from health and wellbeing, to finance and personal development, there is something there for everyone! If you would like to know more head to our benefits and perks page!