Lead Pipeline Programmer - Permanent
At PlayStation London Studio, we are on a mission to make award-winning, landmark games. Our upcoming PlayStation 5 online multiplayer game will be focused on a brand-new IP we are extraordinarily excited about.
Our new game is close to our hearts, as the whole team collaborated on coming up with the concept from the very beginning. We’ve seen this idea grow from a seed, and now we’re looking for new starters to continue our journey on shaping our plans for this AAA project.
We’re also a part of the PlayStation Studios family, a collective of teams - from Insomniac to Naughty Dog and many more. As such, we have solid support system – often knowledge sharing industry advancements so that all our studios, individually lead the way to create memorable gaming experiences.
As the Lead Pipeline Programmer, you will have a huge impact on the success of the project. Your team will enable our artists to solve the complex challenges of an ambitious first-party game, and you will collaborate across tech, tools, and creative disciplines to drive this. We are, ideally, looking for an experience Lead Pipeline Programmer, however, are open to candidates who are looking to take that step into a management position as well!
Scope of Work
- Innovate and modernise our art workflows, and drive ambitions across Maya, Substance, Houdini, Shotgrid and other DCCs
- Improve efficiency by tailoring pipelines to perfectly fit the needs of our game
- Define and deliver tactical goals for the Pipeline team through sprint planning and day to day technical direction
- Plan the longer term vision with the Art Tech Lead
- Provide line management and mentoring to the Pipeline team
- Own the flow of data between DCCs and our bespoke engine/editor
- Establish best practices for code standards, documentation and testing to sustain the quality of our growing toolset
- Maintain our existing pipeline codebase and tools
- Evangelise user-friendly workflows and processes across the studio
- Ensure great communication and collaboration with the art and tech teams, and the wider PlayStation studios
Knowledge / Experience
- Excellent C++, advanced C# and Python (including PySide)
- In-depth Maya experience, including MayaAPI and plugin authoring
- Practical experience developing modern content pipelines around the main DCCs and build/production infrastructure
- Understand the needs of a large art and animation team on an ambitious project
- Enjoy managing and growing an engaged technical team
- Confident using Jira for both day-to-day tracking and more detailed planning
- Ability to investigate and solve complex, systemic problems
- Provide clarity and direction when faced with ambiguity and contending priorities
- Excellent cross-department communication and documentation skills, both technical and non-technical
- Forever curious
Impact / Complexity
The role is hands-on, and you will make daily use of your extensive pipeline experience across a wide suite of tools and processes. As a Lead you will also build your management and leadership skills, overseeing 1:1s, appraisals and the everyday line management of a small and hardworking team.
You will play a meaningful role in realising the ambitions of an extremely supportive and collaborative studio.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We encourage you to bring your best-unaltered self to work. Inclusivity is one of our studio values, which means we embrace different perspectives to fuel our creativity and we know that our games are stronger for it!
It is important to us that our teams are passionate about diversity and inclusion. They must understand that these words speak to people’s lived experiences that may differ to their own. We encourage our teams to educate themselves and show support and their commitment to DE&I (diversity, equity, and inclusion). As an example, some of our outreach activities include giving talks, mentoring, speaking at schools, running roundtables and much more.
We therefore welcome applications from all groups who are underrepresented in the games industry. We can offer training to upskill our team, so if you don’t feel you meet 100% of the job criteria, we still strongly encourage you to apply and look forward to hearing from you.
Our roles can be flexible in terms of work location in the UK. We will consider the individual’s preference for hybrid, remote or onsite working. We may be able to support remote working from a selection of other countries depending on location and the role you're applying to, so please reach out to see if that could be a possibility. If you wish to relocate to the UK and require sponsorship, we can support you with the visa process.
We have so many benefits, and we felt that if we listed them all out here it might look like we are bragging! What we can say is that we have you covered, from health and wellbeing, to finance and personal development, there is something there for everyone! If you would like to know more head to our benefits and perks page!