Experienced VFX Artist - Permanent
At PlayStation London Studio, we are on a mission to make award-winning, landmark games. Our upcoming PlayStation 5 online multiplayer game will be focused on a brand-new IP we are extraordinarily excited about.
Our new game is close to our hearts, as the whole team collaborated on coming up with the concept from the very beginning. We’ve seen this idea grow from a seed, and now we’re looking for new starters to continue our journey on shaping our plans for this AAA project.
We’re also a part of the PlayStation Studios family, a collective of teams - from Insomniac to Naughty Dog and many more. As such, we have solid support system – often knowledge sharing industry advancements so that all our studios, individually lead the way to create memorable gaming experiences.
About the Role
Our VFX Artists work closely across our teams to help craft and push the vision of our projects in a truly collaborative manner. This is an opportunity to be involved in an ambitious AAA project, handling a majority of our VFX content in a fast-paced exciting environment that offers a lot of personal and professional growth opportunities. You will use our ground breaking proprietary technology to build compelling, visually spectacular effects. This is certainly true in our new and exciting AAA title were VFX plays a major role in the co-op combat experience.
We are looking for an experienced VFX Artist to join our growing team. The ideal artist stands out from the crowd by showing their creativity, technical skill, and passion for crafting stunning and high quality VFX.
Scope of Work
- Breathe life and excitement to our project through your consistent and first-rate design, creation, and implementation of compelling visual effects
- Collaborate with Design, Animation, Engineering, and Audio teams to ensure VFX meets quality standards and gameplay clarity
- Utilise our proprietary technology, tools, and pipelines for technical setup, implementation, and troubleshooting of VFX in engine
- Identify, implement, and improve production pipeline for VFX and help support planning, estimation and prioritisation of tasks and time frames
- Support development by crafting Briefs, Assets Packs, Style Guides and Team Documentation for all our internal and external teams.
- Revise, adjust or polish external content as needed.
Essential Knowledge & Skills
- Portfolio demonstrating a high quality of VFX examples.
- Strong command of timing, weight, realism, colour, volume, energy, particle aesthetics, and/or animation principles
- Understanding of 3D packages (e.g., Maya, Max, or Houdini)
- Advanced user of game engine tools and pipelines, such as, node-based particle systems and geometry-based visual effects, and realtime shaders
- Knowledge of game engine limitations, memory, GPU, and CPU performance
Desired Knowledge & Skills
- Experience with Houdini, fluid, soft or rigid body simulations
- Understand scripting and coding principles
- Ability to work with detailed concept art or reference art / materials
Impact & Complexity
As VFX Artist, you will be responsible for your work and make a significant contribution, utilising all your potential, skills, and artistic eye. You'll deliver visual effects that with support play and perform well, but also meet the standard of high-quality visuals that our millions of players expect of a PlayStation Studio’s title.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We encourage you to bring your best-unaltered self to work. Inclusivity is one of our studio values, which means we embrace different perspectives to fuel our creativity and we know that our games are stronger for it!
It is important to us that our teams are passionate about diversity and inclusion. They must understand that these words speak to people’s lived experiences that may differ to their own. We encourage our teams to educate themselves and show support and their commitment to DE&I (diversity, equity, and inclusion). As an example, some of our outreach activities include giving talks, mentoring, speaking at schools, running roundtables and much more.
We therefore welcome applications from all groups who are underrepresented in the games industry. We can offer training to upskill our team, so if you don’t feel you meet 100% of the job criteria, we still strongly encourage you to apply and look forward to hearing from you.
Our roles can be flexible in terms of work location in the UK. We will consider the individual’s preference for hybrid, remote or onsite working. We may be able to support remote working from a selection of other countries depending on location and the role you're applying to, so please reach out to see if that could be a possibility. If you wish to relocate to the UK and require sponsorship, we can support you with the visa process.
We have so many benefits, and we felt that if we listed them all out here it might look like we are bragging! What we can say is that we have you covered, from health and wellbeing, to finance and personal development, there is something there for everyone! If you would like to know more head to our benefits and perks page!